Frequently Asked Questions

What programs do you have available?

Public Housing, Section 8 and Dirigo School Apartments are subsidized and rent is based on 30% of gross adjusted income. Income limits are set by family size.

Low Housing Income Tax Credit are our Chamberlain Place, Somerset Place and the Ellen M. Leach Memorial Home.

What waiting lists are open?

All waiting lists are currently open.

What is the difference between Public Housing and Section 8?

Public Housing units are apartments that the Housing Authority owns and operates. The Housing Authority is the landlord. Section 8 vouchers are used with private landlords in market rate units throughout Brewer's jurisdiction.

What is Brewer's jurisdiction?

Brewer, Holden, Orrington and Eddington.

How do I apply for your programs?

Applications are posted on the Properties page, you may call the office at 207-989-7890 to have one mailed to you or you may stop by the office to pick one up.